Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Learning from Harry Potter

I am a little behind the times. I only recently in the past few months started reading Harry Potter. I am on the third book and everyone tells me that I will truly fall in love with the series after reading this book. I had to take a small break from reading this summer due to a exam I had to study for. But I am resuming my adventure this week. So far I have learned a lot that can be applied to everyday life. 
1. You may not be able to see something that is right in front of you. (you know the part where Harry doesn't see the platform he is supposed to be on at the train station.) But you should still keep looking no matter what!
2. Befriend the maintenance person/people where ever you are. Harry had it right getting to know the grounds keeper. You will need something done in the future and it is good to know them personally to get it done faster. 
3. Surround yourself with people you can trust. Harry has two awesome sidekicks, you should have at least two people to call in case of emergency. More is good, but two works.
4. Everyone loves getting mail. Harry was getting mail, but his uncle kept trying to keep it from him, well the post office doesn't give up that easily. IF someone sends you mail, read it and write them back!
5. There is always one teacher that you just can't stand. Ok, there might be more, but at least one. I find that this is true even as a pre-doctoral student...it continues no matter how old you are.
6. Sometimes you wish you were invisible. That cloak would rock!!
7. Speaking in tongues can be acceptable in the right situation...Harry can speak snake, pretty cool. That could come in handy when dealing with forked- tongue humans.
8. Being awkward is a part of life and you just have to deal with it. I am awkward still at 33 and I am perfectly ok with it. 

Be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment