Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Words Hurt

Let me first throw out a disclaimer...I am speaking of no one in particular, just blanket statements based on what I have observed.

I read an article recently that stated that if more people had a positive view of mental illness then it could actually help the person's treatment. Once we lift the stigma of mental illness we can start to heal the wounds that people don't see. Yes, there are PHYSICAL wounds on mental illness, even though many people like to believe it just "in their heads", and why can't "they just move past it." Besides there being physical issues that come with having a mental illness, there are emotional ones as well. People like to through around the word "crazy" a lot. I am guilty of it myself. I have since come to realize that by using certain words to describe a person with mental illness can leave a lasting effect on the person's well being. I have seen this first hand and even dealt with it myself. People treat you differently once you tell them you have a mental illness. I have been dealing with depression, anxiety and panic disorder for the better part of my life. It wasn't until last year I was diagnosed with a slew of things that made me realize I am different and that is ok. I had to come to terms with the fact that I am not going to handle things the way that others do. But I don't need people to constantly point things out to me. I know I am doing things in a different way, I know that I react to things differently, but that does not make me "crazy." I am who I am and I am ok with that.  I worked in an environment where people would call others "crazy" all the time. (Again, guilty.) Today, I wish I would have stepped up and said that is not funny, but truly offensive. If calling someone a C*** or B&^&* or even using the N-word, then calling a person with any type of mental illness crazy should be seen just as offensive and insensitive.

I have had to step back from many people who have treated me like a leper because of my diagnosis, but have also learned that people will love me for me and accept that I have limits to what I am able to do.  It's not easy telling people what you suffer from, but if they are truly meant to be in your life then, they will be there after you lay it all out on the table. Once the stigma is lifted I feel that people that do suffer from mental illness will not be ashamed of who they are and be willing to share more with the people around them. We are wired differently and that is just fine. No two people are the same and we need to remember that. Words are just as powerful as a blade, some don't realize that they hurt just as much.

Be kind today.

No comments:

Post a Comment