Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Gracious Listening

I was listening to Speaking of Faith on NPR Sunday morning. I just love the host's voice-she is so calming. Anyhoo...she was talking to the creator of Story Corp-also on NPR on Fridays. Its short segments of people telling a story about their lives.  I felt that it was wonderful when they mentioned that its important to listen to what the person is saying and do it graciously. What does that mean?  It  means shut up and LISTEN to what they are really telling you. Its not about you and the list of things you have running in your head. Share in the moment this person is giving you about themselves and take it all in. When you are telling someone about yourself you are very vulnerable and that is a big deal to many people. You are giving up a piece of you to the person listening. So take the time to listen graciously and enjoy the time you have with that person. When I listen to stories on Story Corp, I am not going to lie- I have been in tears. I have given myself the permission to listen and listen with all my being. Open your ears, but more importantly open your heart to what others are saying when they speak! Be kind to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment