Friday, April 4, 2014

Marshall Dillon

I get up super early and flipping through the channels I stopped on an old Tom and Jerry cartoon. I actually watched it, which I never do. But then it hit me, it reminds me of my Saturday mornings as a child. We would wake up and my father would be watching old cartoons. Then later that day I flipped on Andy Griffith, and even some Gunsmoke (Marshall Dillon is my favorite). I also will watch M.A.S.H. whenever I see its on. These are shows I watched with my father while I lived with him, when I was working and getting my Masters. I know I talk a lot about what my mother has taught me and is still imparting wisdom on me; but watching these shows with my dad over dinner in the kitchen gave me a glimpse into him. He likes things to be simple and funny. He will laugh his way through most situations and try to bug you to death with it. Since both of my parents are getting older I just sit and listen to them tell stories about what it was like when they were growing up, or when they were my age. My sisters always say, I didn't know that about them, and I simply reply: " Did you listen to them?" So in closing this is a post to my father who I am sure gave me the gene for sarcasm and wit and has taught me a lot while watching M.A.S.H., Andy and Barney, and my Marshall Dillon and Ms. Kitty. Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy a good show and say nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment